Duty Station: Cape Town, South Africa
Closing date: March 2020
The ICGEB invites applications for the post of Group Leader, Virology – Emerging Viruses
The incumbent should have a proven track record of research excellence in virology, a strong background in the pathogenesis of infectious diseases, a proven track record of leading an internationally-recognized team of scientists, with a strong publication record and an ability to attract competitive research funding.
DURATION: 4 years
The incumbent will be responsible for coordinating and developing research activities and strategy within the group and for:
- Conducting world-class research at the forefront of the Infectious Diseases field with a particular focus on Emerging Viruses of importance in the African Continent
- Directing the activities of the Virology – Emerging Viruses Group, with particular reference to the dissemination of scientific information on technical and other relevant aspects
- Collaborating with other Group Leaders and the Director of the Cape Town Component in the overall scientific organisation and implementation of research programmes of the Component
- Developing an effective fundraising strategy to support and sustain the Group’s activities
- Supervising a Research Technician, MSc and PhD students, and Post-doctoral Fellows
QUALIFICATIONS: PhD Degree in the Virology or Infectious Diseases field, Molecular Biology or the equivalent. A minimum of 3-5 years’ active experience.
APPLICATIONS: Candidates should submit their full Curriculum Vitae and a statement of the proposed research to:
Dr. Luiz Zerbini (email to email@example.com, quoting ref: ZAF/01/09/19) and submit the ICGEB Personal History Form, together with a cover letter outlining motivation for application and full contact details of three referees.