Duty Station: Cape Town, South Africa
Closing date: March 2020
The ICGEB invites applications for the post of Group Leader, Diabetes
The incumbent should have a proven track record of research excellence in diabetes, a strong background in metabolic disorders, a proven track record of leading an internationally-recognised team of scientists, with a strong publication record and an ability to attract competitive research funding.
DURATION: 4 years
The incumbent will be responsible for coordinating and developing research activities and strategy within the group and for:
- Conducting world-class research at the forefront of the Diabetes field, aimed at developing new approaches for diabetes control and therapy
- Directing the activities of the Diabetes Group, with particular reference to the dissemination of scientific information on technical and other relevant aspects of diabetes
- Collaborating with other Group Leaders and the Director of the Cape Town Component in the overall scientific organisation and implementation of research programmes of the Component
- Developing an effective fundraising strategy to support and sustain the Group’s activities
- Supervising a Research Technician, MSc and PhD students, and Post-doctoral Fellows
QUALIFICATIONS: PhD Degree in the Diabetes or Metabolic Disorders field, Molecular Biology or equivalent. A minimum of 3-5 years active experience.
APPLICATIONS: Candidates should submit their full Curriculum Vitae and a statement of proposed research to Dr. Luiz Zerbini (email to:
Dr. Luiz Zerbini (email to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting ref: ZAF/02/09/19) and submit the ICGEB Personal History Form, together with a cover letter outlining motivation for application and full contact details of three referees.