The MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship is a prestigious fellowship in the Life Sciences and biotechnology undertaken in the international environment of the ICGEB – International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology in Trieste.
Based in Italy and eligible as host institute of MSCA Postdoctoral Fellows, ICGEB welcomes applications for the Life Sciences, in particular the following areas: infectious diseases (virology and parasitic diseases), non-communicable diseases (cardiovascular disorders, immunology, molecular genetics, neurobiology, cancer), medical biotechnology (biotherapeutics, computational biology, translational health, functional cell biology), industrial biotechnology (Biofuels and Industrial Biotechnology), plant biology and biotechnology (Crop Improvement, Abiotic and Biotic Stress).
What is an MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship?
MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships support researchers’ careers and foster excellence in research. They target researchers who wish to engage in R&I projects and acquire new skills through advanced training, international & interdisciplinary mobility, with possible non-academic placements. Two schemes are available:
- European Postdoctoral Fellowships are open to researchers of any nationality who wish to engage in R&I projects by either coming to ICGEB, Italy, from any country in the world or moving within Europe. The standard duration of these fellowships must be between 12 and 24 months.
- Global Postdoctoral Fellowships are open to European nationals or long-term residents who wish to engage in R&I projects with organisations outside EU Member States and Horizon Europe Associated Countries. These fellowships require an outgoing phase of minimum 12 and maximum 24 months in a non-associated Third Country, and a mandatory 12-month return phase to the host organisation based in an EU country (ICGEB).
This scheme provides a competitive stipend (approx. 4.947 €/month gross) and benefits (mobility allowance, funding for research, training and networking activities, and if applicable: family/long term leave/special needs allowance).
Who is eligible?
Excellent researchers of any nationality who:
- hold a PhD degree at the time of the deadline for applications;
- have a maximum of 8 years’ experience in research, from their PhD degree (excl. career breaks and period outside research)
- For the European Fellowships category: comply with mobility rules: Between 14 September 2020 and 13 September 2023 you have not been in Italy for more than 12 months.
In addition, you need to be able to satisfy most of the following requirements:
- A good publication track record.
- Have presented at well-established seminars/conferences.
- Been involved in the organization of workshops/conferences.
- Been a member of a review panel or editorial board.
- Hold academic/professional memberships.
- Won prizes or other awards for research and/or other related achievements.
- Have demonstrable leadership, teaching and/or supervisory experience.
- Been involved in public engagement knowledge transfer activities.
- Hold mobility/international experience.
Why apply for a MSCA PF at ICGEB?
ICGEB as a host organisation offers:
- Advanced Facilities: advanced optical microscopy, advanced protein research & proteomics; clean-room lab for recombinant pharmaceuticals; BL3 safety lab for class 3 pathogens; AAV vector-producing facility occupying a negative-pressurised room with air-locked security; computer facility for genomics and biotechnology, access to the most important biological databases; high-throughput facility for whole-genome siRNA and small molecule screen-based on high content microscopy analysis.
- International environment: ICGEB is an intergovernmental organisation counting 66 Member States. Its HQ is in Trieste, Italy, with 2 other components in India and South Africa, and an interactive network of Regional Research Centers and Affiliated Centers. It works in close collaboration with international networks and organisations such as the UN agencies and foundations worldwide. Scientists and students of all nationalities are hosted at its laboratories.
- A scientific and educational Centre of the highest standard: ICGEB conducts innovative research with the ultimate goal of promoting sustainable global development. It will give you access to a rich programme of international conferences, workshops, and courses.
- Innovative hub and pleasant location: ICGEB is located in Trieste, in the FVG Region, the Italian “Silicon Valley”, classified as “Strong Innovator” by the EU Commission (EIS). Based in the Area Science Park, a 80,000m2 R&D campus with 72 different companies and start-ups, 8 national and international research centres and a Synchrotron, it also offers pleasant weather, bordered by the Adriatic Sea and the proximity of the Alps.
- Transferable and horizontal skills: you will have the possibility to participate in several seminars and initiatives organised annually by the ICGEB, such as TechTransfer trainings to help you bring your ideas into the market, Gender in research workshops, and Outreach and Science Communication events.
- Continuous Support: the Fundraising, TT and Innovation Office is available to support you in the protection and valorisation of your research results and in searching for funding opportunities, while the Fellowship Office will support you in your travel arrangement, visa and accommodation search.
How to apply for an MSCA PF at the ICGEB?
- Read carefully the MSCA call requirements: https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tenders/opportunities/portal/screen/opportunities/topic-details/horizon-msca-2023-pf-01-01;callCode=null;freeTextSearchKeyword=;matchWholeText=true;typeCodes=1,0;statusCodes=31094501;programmePeriod=2021
- Search for a supervisor among the ICGEB Trieste Group Leaders and contact her/him by 31 May 2023 with your detailed CV and a project outline (including your reasons for coming to ICGEB Trieste and for choosing your supervisor). Contacts available here
- Please specify if you are interested in an MSCA PF European Fellowship or an MSCA PF Global Fellowship.
- Should you prove successful, we will work with you and your supervisor to prepare a full MSCA-PF application to be submitted by 13 September 2023.
Closing Dates for Applications:
31 MAY 2023
Posted on April 6, 2023 With a result of 98/100, the researcher Diana Bedolla is awarded a Fellowship for her project to improve diagnostics for dementia. Her activity will commence in ICGEB in October 2023.