The ICGEB is a unique intergovernmental
Our Organisation is dedicated to advanced research and training in molecular biology and biotechnology and advancing knowledge, applying the latest techniques in the fields of:
- crop improvement
- environmental protection/remediation
- biopharmaceuticals, biopesticide and biofuel production
The ICGEB is governed by the Board of Governors, made up of representatives from each Member State and the Council of Scientific Advisers, composed of eminent scientists who oversee the scientific excellence of the Centre.
At present 700 people, from over 40 different countries, work at the ICGEB, of which almost 600 are scientific personnel, including research scientists, postdoctoral fellows,
- 1983 – The International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology is launched with the signing of its Statutes (the international treaty sanctioning its existence, deposited with the
Secretary Generalof the United Nations) by 26 countries during a Plenipotentiary Meeting, held in Madrid.
- 1984 – The representatives of the Signatory Countries meet in Vienna and decide that ICGEB will be structured with two Components, one located in Trieste, Italy (also to be the Headquarters of the Centre), and one in New Delhi, India, as well as a network of Affiliated Centres.
- 1987 – Pending the entry into force of the Statutes, ICGEB starts operations as a special programme of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO). The implementation of the programme is made possible through funds provided by the Host Governments of Italy and India.
- Arturo Falaschi is appointed Head of Trieste Component and on November 25, the first experiment is performed on the premises.
- 1994 – The Statutes of the Centre enter into force on 3 February, establishing an independent, international
- 2007 – The Third Component of the ICGEB is established in Cape Town, South Africa.
The ICGEB currently has 66 full Member States, a further 19 countries are still pending ratification of, or accession to, the Statutes of ICGEB.